I am back with another PB Knockoff. This time the knock off is for our master bedroom. (I also found a bargain last night that I added to my master bedroom that I have to show at the end of this post). So here's my knockoff target...
The Pottery Barn Circles Wall-Mount Votive Holder. As soon as I saw, it in the catalog I LOVED it. It would never look right in my master bedroom though, but I really wanted something akin to this to hang above the bed. I needed something in silver to show up on our dark brown walls and I didnt really care about the candles being on there. Also it was $119 and everyone knows I didn't really care for that price. I needed something on the cheap and custom...so of course I just made it and I LOVE the finished product!
Here's how I made it:
Step #1- I started by gathering my supplies:
2 each of 8", 10", 12", and 18" wooden embroidery hoops from Hobby Lobby
1 can of Valspar Spray Primer (already on hand)
1 can of Valspar Satin Nickel Spray Paint (around $3)
Picture Hanging Wire (on hand)
my trusty glue gun (on hand)
saw (or you could use a knife to score and then break the wood)
You can see the prices on the embroidery hoops in the pictures. I checked out twice actually, so that I could use 2 of their 40% off coupons from the website on the 18" embroidery hoops. The total of the 2 transactions came to $13.72....although I didn't end up using every small hoop so you could get by cheaper. So my total for this whole project was around $16-$17.
Step #2- Laid out the hoops in the pattern I wanted to use
I measured the space above my bed to know how long and wide I wanted this piece to be. I couldn't find 2 measuring tapes (they always go missing around here!), so I laid out a few yard sticks to judge the length by and extended the measuring tape to judge the height by. I then took the embroidery hoops and laid them out in the pattern I wanted. I used the PB picture as my guide because I really liked their placement of the hoops.
Step #3- Mark where the hoops overlap
Basically, anywhere a hoop overlapped another hoop I made line on both the touching hoops.
Step #4- Remove hardware from the hoops
I basically just pulled on it and for the most part everything popped right off. For the stubborn pieces I grabbed a screwdriver and wedged it underneath to pop it off.
Step #5- Cut or Break the hoops on the mark made in Step #3
Everywhere the hoops overlapped I drew a pencil line on them. Then I used a hand saw to cut straight down through the hoop. A few times I also scored the lines with a knife and just broke the thin hoops. During this whole process, I kept the whole pattern laid out in the floor. That way as soon as I cut a piece, I could put it right back it its place in the pattern. Otherwise I think I would've gotten all my pieces mixed up and wouldn't have been able to piece it back together properly.
Step #6- Hot Glue all the pieces back together
You could use wood glue to glue all your pieces back together but that takes forever to dry. Hot glue just dries so fast...and I am fairly impatient I guess...so I used hot glue. It worked great though. The reason I cut them apart and then hot glued them together is so that once painted the whole thing would look more seamless. Yes, the embroidery hoops are a hair different in thickness, but they are not that different. But if I had've just glued them together, they would've had a more stacked look. The PB one basically looks several metal hoops saudered together, so that is what I was going for here. Also, I filled any holes left in the wood from ripping the hardware off with hot glue...eventually it will all get covered up with spray paint anyhow. Sorry, I have no pictures of the hot glue process...I cannot hot glue and take pictures, apparently.
Step #7- Create hangers
I cut 2 appx. 2 inch pieces of picture wire. Then I wrapped each piece around a nail and then twisted the extra creating a small wire hoop and slid it off the nail. I then hot glued the twisted length of the wires the inside of the hoops at the 2 tallest portions of the artwork.
Step #7- Spray primer and Spray paint
Basically after the hot glue had set for about a day, I took it outside and spray primed it. Then let it sit for an hour or so to cure. Then I spray painted it satin nickel and let it sit for another hour.
And here's the finished product hanging on the wall.
And here's a shot of it over the bed. I think it fits the space perfectly.
And here's another shot of it...
and did you notice that big leaning mirror?!! That was my bargain I snagged last night. It's a silver West Elm Chunky Wood Floor Mirror. EEK!!! Yep, I just happened to stop by the West Elm Outlet last night and saw it for 60% off!!! That is cheaper than buying a floor mirror from Lowes. Plus this thing is a solid, hefty 110 lb wooden one. I mean this is SUPER nice quality that I only had only "dreamed" of having. I have LOVE LOVE LOVED that mirror ever since I spotted it in the catalog, but I have NEVER seen it in the outlet EVER. Actually I had never seen it in person til last night. We did not have a full length mirror in our house, so this was PERFECT. LOVE it!
I also had cleaned up the rest of our room so I figured why not just take a few more shots... even if they had nothing to do with my project. Might as well show you the rest of the room :)~
So one last time lets compare the PB version to my version:
I think it looks great. No it's not an exact replica, but it wouldn't work in my room if it was.
Plus for about $100 cheaper than the original PB version, I think I will keep mine!
Thanks for looking! Hopefully this inspires you to create some artwork of your own.
Linking up to: